top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Season Ticket

Football | Calvert-Lewin breaks Manchester United hearts

Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck in the fifth minute of stoppage time to secure a thrilling 3-3 draw for Everton against Manchester United on Saturday.

United led 2-0 at half time, with Edinson Cavani and Bruno Fernandes finding the net, before the determined Toffees restored parity through James Rodriguez and Abdoulaye Doucoure.

Scott McTominay restored the Red Devils' lead, but Calvert-Lewin's last gasp goal ensured a share of the spoils at Old Trafford. The home side took the lead through Cavani in the 24th minute.

Marcus Rashford drifted out to the right-hand side, taking his time to get his head up and cross it towards the back post.

Cavani was alert to the chance, ghosting in behind Michael Keane before heading past Robin Olsen from inside the six-yard area.

The loss of Paul Pogba to injury could prove to be a huge blow to United. The midfielder appeared to be struggling after playing a short pass forward resulting in the Frenchman been replaced.

United extended their lead on the stroke of half-time when Fernandes channelled his inner Eric Cantona with a sublime finish to top left corner from 20 yards. Fernandes dummied a pass for Aaron Wan-Bissaka, and then received possession to the right of the area. The Portuguese midfielder was under no pressure and curled a sublime right-footed effort over Olsen.

The visitors had a chance to cut the deficit down to one when Calvert-Lewin broke the offside trap to latch onto Mason Holgate’s pass, racing in behind the United defence to go one-on-one with David de Gea. The English forward had all the time in the world and with the goalkeeper to beat but somehow managed to pull his left-footed effort agonisingly wide of goal to the right.

The visitors came out a totally different team in the second half, and within four minute the deficit was halved. It all started when Calvert-Lewin got in behind United’s defence yet again, this time was played through by Tom Davies. The striker attempted to poke a tame left-footed effort across goal, which de Gea inexplicably parried into the path of a grateful Doucoure, who finished from point-blank range.

The Everton comeback was complete three minutes later this time through James Rodriguez. Abdoulaye Doucoure picked up the ball on the right flank, firing a low driven cross to the Colombian, who drilled a left-footed effort into the bottom right corner from the edge of the area.

United regained the lead through a fine Scott McTominay header. The Scottish midfielder broke free in the box to nod Luke Shaw's inviting free kick into the net.

From then onwards the Old Trafford outfit looked set to celebrate another home victory and move level on points with Manchester City. Everton had the last say of the game, however.

Lucas Digne swung a 95th-minute free kick into the United box, with Harry Maguire failing to push up alongside his teammates. Michael Keane's flick on found Calvert-Lewin, who took one touch before prodding the ball past a hesitant de Gea from eight yards, completing a remarkable turnaround for Carlo Ancelotti's men.

With United surrendering their lead twice and dropping two points, the six-goal thriller adds fuel to the feeling that the Premier League trophy is destined for the blue half of Manchester this season.

With just 15 league games left to play, United will feel like this one could prove to be significant.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page