top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Season Ticket

Football | League of Ireland talking points

.@bfcdublin go top of the table after a third successive win, taking advantage of @shamrockrovers' ill-discipline in the Dublin Derby #soccrepublic #rtesoccer — Soccer Republic (@SoccRepublic) February 26, 2019 Cork and Dundalk pick up first wins Dundalk and Cork City both claimed their first wins of the season. Last year's top two have both started the season slowly, but will be hoping their respective victories will kickstart their seasons. The Leesiders triumphed 2-1 away at Sligo Rovers, while Dundalk came from behind to beat UCD 2-1 at Oriel Park. A Sean McLoughlin strike opened the scoring for John Caulfield's Cork from close range inside 15 minutes at the Showgrounds. Gearóid Morrisey's superb left-footed strike from 30 yards doubled their advantage in the 49th minute, before Kyle Callan-McFadden's 63rd minute diving header halved the deficit. The Bit O'Red pushed for an equalizer in the closing stages, but Cork held on for a valuable away win.
.@corkcityfc picked up their first league win of season with a 2-1 win over a gallant @SligoRovers at the Showgrounds #soccrepublic #rtesoccer — Soccer Republic (@SoccRepublic) February 26, 2019 For the third game running, Dundalk fell behind in the first half. Pat Hoban squandered a glorious chance in the third minute, before Jason McClelland went close for the visitors four minutes later. UCD took the lead in the 29th minute through the impressive Neil Farrugia, who finished past Gary Rogers after being picked out by Conor Davis. Davis then failed to convert a good opportunity on the stroke of half time, a miss which Collie O'Neill's side would later rue. The Lilywhites equalized eight minutes into the second half from the penalty spot. Sean Gannon's cross was handled by a UCD defender in the box, and Hoban - captaining the champions in Brian Gartland's absence - drew Dundalk level after a staggered run up. Michael Duffy then fired the hosts in front, cutting inside past Dan Tobin before rifling the ball into the bottom corner on the hour mark. Hoban hit the crossbar and later forced a fine save from Conor Kearns in the closing stages as Vinny Perth's side held on for their first league win of the season.
.@michaelduffy_ produced a bit of trademark magic to get @dundalkfc up and running with a 2-1 win over @UCDafc at Oriel Park on Monday night #soccrepublic #RTEsoccer — Soccer Republic (@SoccRepublic) February 26, 2019 Derry edge Waterford in thriller Derry City came out on top of a five-goal thriller against Waterford at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium. The Candystripes were aided by two unfortunate own goals in their 3-2 win over Alan Reynold's team. Ciaron Harkin produced a fine strike from 20 yards to open the scoring for the hosts, who should really have added to their tally before the interval. Waterford plundered an equalizer from the penalty spot after Darren Cole fouled Bastien Hery inside the area. Shane Duggan made no mistake from the spot. Derry took the lead for the second time in fortuitous fashion with 15 minutes remaining when Rory Feely inadvertently turned Patrick McClean's cross into his own net. New Waterford signing Georgie Poynton scored on his debut, but unfortunately the goal came at the wrong end, handing Derry a 3-1 lead. Corey Galvin produced a fantastic strike from 25 yards to give Waterford hope, but Declan Devine's Derry held on to secure their second win of the season.
Declan Devine's @derrycityFC showed great desire to come out on top in a five-goal thriller against @waterfordFCie #soccrepublic #rtesoccer — Soccer Republic (@SoccRepublic) February 26, 2019 St. Pat's in stalemate with Harps St. Patrick's Athletic were forced to settle for a 0-0 draw with Finn Harps. The Inchicore club had scored late winners through Mikey Drennan in their first two matches, but couldn't penetrate a resilient Harps defence at Richmond Park. Ollie Horgan's visitors - who earned a 1-1 draw with Dundalk in Donegal last time out - stifled the Pat's attack, and twice went close to nicking an away goal through Sean Boyd. Drenna fired into the side netting for the home side in the 72nd minute, and despite the introductions of Brandon Miele and Chris Forrester, the Dublin club couldn't force a breakthrough. Harps almost grabbed the winner in stoppage time, but Daniel O'Reilly's header was straight at Brendan Clarke.
Newly promoted @finnharpsFc frustrated @stpatsfc at Richmond Park to earn their second big point in four days #soccrepublic #rtesoccer — Soccer Republic (@SoccRepublic) February 26, 2019
0 views0 comments
bottom of page