top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Season Ticket

Football | Rovers come from behind to eliminate SK Brann

WATCH: Here's the goal from Karamoko Bamba thathas put SK Brann ahead on the night and in the tie at TallaghtStadium. #LOIinEurope —eir Sport (@eirSport) July18, 2019 Midfielder Jack Byrne drew Rovers level 14 minutes from time with an excellent pirouette and finish following a beautifully threaded through ball from skipper Ronan Finn. Byrne controlled the ball inside the area as he turned before dispatching a calm finish past the onrushing 'keeper to wrest control of the tie back in the hosts' favour.
GET IN THERE!Lift off at @tallaghtstadiumJack Byrne scores a crucial equaliser for @ShamrockRoversin the—SSE Airtricity League (@SSEAirtricityLg) July18, 2019 Brann - facing elimination on away goals - committed players forward as they searched for a winner, and Rovers struck their second goal with a ruthless counter attack. Substitute Dan Carr did brilliantly to hold the ball up on the edge of the Brann box before laying the ball off to Byrne just outside the area. Byrne squeezed a delightful through ball to Gary O'Neill on the right side of the area, and the sub - who had replaced Finn moments earlier - found the net via a deflection off a defender. Rovers fans behind the Brann goals invaded the pitch after O'Neill's goal, a move which will likely result in a fine from UEFA. The Hoops survived five minutes of stoppage time to seal their place in the next round of Europa League qualifiers, with tonight's victory reportedly worth an estimated €500,000 to the Dublin club. Elsewhere, there was late heartbreak for Cork City in the Czech Republic. The Leesiders - who lost 2-0 at Turner's Cross to Progrès Niederkorn in the first leg - made the perfect start in Luxembourg, with Garry Buckley smashing home a goal in the third minute. John Cotter's visitors had several opportunities to add to their lead before the interval, and scored a crucial second goal early in the second half. Conor McCarthy headed home via the upright from Daire O'Connor's cross to draw Cork level on aggregate (and away goals). However, Progrès scored the tie's decisive goal in the 68th minute. Substitute Issa Bah fired the home side into the lead on aggregate with virtually his first involvement. Cork, who were excellent on the night, pushed for a late third goal, but ultimately fell short against the Luxembourg champions. Progrès will now face Steven Gerrard's Rangers in the next round. St. Patrick's Athletic suffered a 2-1 (4-1 aggregate) defeat to IFK Norrkoping in Sweden. The Inchicore club faced an uphill battle after losing 2-0 at Richmond Park last week, and were a class below the Swedes over both legs. Jordan Larsson gave Norrkoping the lead against Harry Kenny's visitors, who drew level through a superb Conor Clifford strike. However, Karl Holmberg restored the hosts' lead, and Norkoping held on to secure a comfortable aggregate victory.
0 views0 comments
bottom of page