top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Season Ticket

League of Ireland round up

With Dundalk and Cork City in mid-week action in Europe, there were just two top flight games in the Premier Division this evening, while a flurry of games in Division 1 shaped up the remainder of the evening's football.

Waterford were hoping to halt their slide ever closer to the trapdoor of relegation and will have seen the visit of Finn Harps as an opportunity to overtake Cork City.

Alas, it wasn't to be, as a late Michael Place penalty at the RSC means that all is not lost in their quest for survival and with UCD facing Shamrock Rovers on Sunday, things aren't all bleak as Ollie Horgan and his players make the considerable journey home.

Despite some light trouble, Derry and Sligo did eventually get going, and with a little over 20 minutes gone, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe gave the home side the lead. It was his seventh goal in as many games.

Ogedi-Uzokwe was at the centre of an awful lot, and set up Jamie McDonagh straight after half-time. Sligo never looked like troubling Declan Devine's side, and the collective effort of his side was summed up in the 79th minute. A well engineered goal was finished by Jack Malone, and with that, Sligo Rovers were finished.

A late Darren Meenan penalty was not enough to eradicate the steady holding Shelbourne had got on this First Division, with two goals in 6 first half minutes. Shelbourne remain top, with a comfortable 6 point lead.

Cabinteely have been hard to beat of late, and are looking good for a promotion qualification spot after a 2-0 win over Longord Town; slimming the gap between the two sides to nothing but goal difference now.

If Bray are not quite out of the mix yet, Galway United certainly are; a 2-2 draw between the sides meaning Vinny Faherty's late equaliser offered some solace for the home side; but ultimately it's going to be something of a meaningless end to the season for Galway.

Drogheda United kept the relative pressure on Shelbourne, and discarded Limerick on their own patch in a 4-1 victory. Clyde O'Connel gave Limerick a first-half lead, but 4 goals, including 2 in the last ten minutes, meant it was a sorry night for the home side, who failed to take a foothold in the game when the opportunity was there.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page