top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Season Ticket

GAA | Dublin defeat Mayo to complete six-in-a-row dream

Dublin have beaten Mayo by 2-14 to 0-15 in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship at Croke Park.

First half goals from Dean Rock and Con O'Callaghan saw Dessie Farrell's men lead by 2-6 to 0-10 at half time, and the Dubs pulled away in the final quarter to win by five points.

Rock palmed the ball into the net after just 13 seconds, with Dublin plundering a goal directly from the throw-in after a strong run through the middle from James McCarthy.

Oisin Mullin registered Mayo's first point soon afterwards, with Cillian O'Connor soon adding a brace of points to reduce Dublin's lead to one point.

Rock responded with a free in the eighth minute to make it 1-2 to 0-3 in the capital.

Sean Bugler and O'Connor traded points, before Conor Loftus bore down on goal and calmly fisted over.

Ryan O'Donoghue drew Mayo level ahead of the first water break.

O'Connor bagged the game's next two points, with O'Callaghan chipping in with a point at the other end.

In the 24th minute, O'Connor curled over his sixth point of the half. O'Callaghan responded in kind.

O'Donoghue's excellent point was cancelled out by John Small's fine effort. Soon afterwards, Ciaran Kilkenny popped up with his first point of the game.

Robbie McDaid was shown a black card late in the half for a body check on Kevin McLoughlin, which meant Dublin ended the half with 14 men.

Farrell introduced Brian Howard in place of Bugler at the interval.

Niall Scully notched the first point of the second half as Dublin coped comfortably with 14 men in the early stages of the second period.

Brian Fenton and Stephen Coen exchanged scores before Johnny Cooper escaped a black card after hauling Aidan O'Shea to the ground.

O'Connor tapped over the resulting free to make it a one-point game, and soon added another to draw James Horan's men level. Rock responded with a free of his own in the 50th minute, and Dublin led by 2-9 to 0-14 at the water break.

Kilkenny, Howard and Rock added scores for Dublin upon the resumption, as Mayo began to lose costly turnovers and make unforced errors.

Darren Coen kept Mayo's fading hopes alive with a 64th-minute point, but Kilkenny split the posts at the other end to keep Mayo at arm's length.

There were five minutes of additional time, but Mayo rarely looked like grabbing a goal which could have dragged them back into the game in the dying minutes.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page